The Free Library of Philadelphia branches are physically closed due to COVID-19 but many librarians and staffers are still providing online programs and services through the Free Library website and the branches’ social media accounts.
According to Mcpherson Square Branch Librarian Tuesday Chalmers, librarians across the city are trying to keep their patrons engaged. To help spread the word, here’s a list of resources you can access from your home.
Free Library website resources
If you don’t already have a library card, you’ll need to go to the Free Library website and sign-up online. After submitting the online application, you can use your library card number to access any of the following resources:
- Read ebooks and listen to audiobooks
- Connect with a tutor
- Download music, ebooks, and audiobooks through Hoopla
- Learn a new language
- Learn a new software, business, or creative skill
- Listen to a Free Library Author Event podcast
- Listen to a storybook (Tip: On the first page, put in your library card number so you can get redirected to BookFlix.)
- Read a magazine
- Read The New York Times
- Search through the subscription databases or the digital media featured databases
- Watch movies, documentaries, and foreign films
Free Library virtual programming
You can check out the Free Library’s virtual programming page with activities for adults, young adults, school-age children, preschoolers, toddlers, seniors, and babies here. The website has a list of hundreds of program titles, descriptions, dates, and times.
Here are some upcoming programs:
- Minecraft Day, Mondays and Fridays from 3-5:30 p.m. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Virtual Bilingual Storytime with Mr. Pagan, Tuesdays at 2 p.m. on Facebook Live at Durham Library – Free Library of Philadelphia
- Virtual English Conversation Circle, Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:00-4:30 p.m. Email email@example.com to register.
- Virtual Family Fun, Wednesdays and Fridays at 3:30 p.m. on Facebook at Free Library of Philadelphia, Greater Olney Branch
- Virtual Spanish Conversation Group, every other Monday in June from 4-5 p.m. Email Sara Palmer at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Virtual Storytime, Facebook live readings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 10 a.m. on Facebook at Independence Branch Free Library.
Remember to regularly check the virtual programming website for program announcements and cancellations.
The library branches’s social media accounts
Many libraries, including all three branches in the Kensington-area, are posting activities and COVID-19 information on their Instagram and Facebook pages.
Lillian Marrero Library
McPherson Square Library
Editors: Claire Wolters / Designer: Henry Savage / Translator: N/A